Monday, December 17, 2007

Books That Changed My Life

I have been giving this a good amount of thought and have concluded that my list of favorite books looks quite similar to everyone elses. Not only that, I am having a hard time remembering a lot of what I have read over the years because most of my books are in my mother's attic (limited storage space). So instead I am compiling a very brief list of some books that changed my life and the reasons why:

1. Flowers for Algernon-Daniel Keyes-This was the first summer reading book that I actually read and did not get the cliff's notes for instead. I barely remember what it was about but I remember discovering that I liked reading very much. Although I was never reading what I was supposed to be reading in school, I was rarely without a book from that point on.

2. Keith Richards-Victor Bockris- (I'll bet you're wondering how this book changed my life).Up until I read this book I had never read a stitch of nonfiction. While it may not seem like serious literature, this book opened me up to reading biographies and other works of nonfiction-something that I was completely opposed to previously.(I have since read nearly every book about the Stones and Keith and this is one of the best for all of you fans.)

3. Mutant Message Down Under- Marlo Morgan- This is a book about a woman who has a personal transformation while going on a walkabout with a tribe of Aboriginals in the outback of Austrailia. Essentially what she experienced was every religions Greatest Hits. This book majorly changed my outlook on life. Too long to spout on why, but I just recommend it.

4.Do What You Are:Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type-Paul Tieger-This was a book that used the Myers/Brigg test to find a career suitable for your personality type. It worked!

5. The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer-David Whitsett- The title says it all. I was a non-runner and then I ran a marathon. Again...life changing.

6. The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce:A 25 Year Landmark Study- Judith Wallerstein-Sorry to be a broken record to those of you who have heard this before but this book officially changed my life. For the first time I was reading about people who had the exact same childhood experiences that I did. All of the subjects in this book were very articulate about what they thought the effect their parents divorce had on them in their adult life. Hearing other peoples stories that were so like my own was like a weight being lifted that I didn't even know I was carrying around. For my friends whose parents are divorced this is a good one if you are in the market for a little self help.

No comments: