Thursday, September 18, 2008

What Makes a Good Mom?

What makes a good Mom? 

How do you raise kids that are happy and successful? 
I ask myself these questions over and over again now that I am a Mom. In my quest to find an answer I came across a book, Mother Nuture, written by Stephanie Hirsch. In it the author interviews Mothers of successful people - Matt Lauer, Lance Armstrong, Cindy Crawford, Uma Thurman, Justin Timberlake and Steven Spielberg - just to name a few that are included in the book. As you read the book, you can gain "Life lessons from the Mothers of America's Best and Brightest". Hmm...I thought maybe I can learn something I didn't know. Maybe I will get my answer.
After reading the book, I did get my answer...
Every child is unique and special in their OWN way -Each has his/her special qualities; likes and dislikes, set of gifts and talents. And every Mom has her OWN way of raising a happy, successful child. There is no PERFECT way. What may work for one kid, may not work for another. And what may work for one family, may not work for another.
At the end of the day you do what you think is best for your child - mistakes and all. Trial and error.
So, am I a bad Mom because my son gets to be late a few nights? Or am I a better Mom if he plays all day and does not have to run errands with me? Am I neglecting him if he goes to his Grandparents so I can get a break once in awhile? Or am I a better Mom if we spend the entire day together? 
No - I do what I need to do to get through each day - and by bedtime as long as my son is HAPPY I can go to bed knowing that I did the best I could that day as his Mom. :) 
We shouldn't be so hard on ourselves....lesson learned and some knowledge gained.

2 comments:

Julie L said...

I Love this post. I struggle with this daily, I beat myself up and try to do everything the 'perfect' way for the kids. And when I burn myself out, it's only my fault and no one is happy!
Balance balance balance!

Anonymous said...

I read an article relating to this in the October 7th issue of Woman's Day (makes me feel so old when I buy this magazine). The article is titled "TOP 5 MOM MYTHS". After reading this, I feel even better about not being a "perfect" Mom.